16 August 2008

Quilts are still useful...


Kevin thinks my quilting is old-fashioned and that my end products are undesirable. But now that it's been so rainy in Denver, my quilts are turning out to be just the thing we need. Savannah loves her picnic quilt, which she asked me to make exactly like one she saw on Strawberry Shortcake when she and her friends have a picnic. She uses this one both outside and in. It has really thick batting so it's cushion-y on the grass. It also helps to cheer up a rainy day or snow day by having a picnic inside.



The Strawberry Shortcake Quilt - Ahh! Savannah loves it!



Savannah has a super cute country shabby-chic quilt that I made for her bed. I quilted it with a much thinner batting, Warm & Natural that was recommended by Eleanor Burns (my favorite quilter to learn from). It was much easier to quilt and I used this tutorial on free motion quilting provided by one of my favorite bloggers, Amanda Jean from Crazy Mom Quilts.


My Shabby Chic Log Cabin Quilt for Savannah's bed. I followed Amanda Jean's tutorial and did my first free-motion quilting on this one. Once I had the right foot, it worked out well!


There's a new baby boy due due in a few short months to a friend in NYC. I'd like to make her something for the little guy but I'm not yet sure what... They are matching Pottery Barn people so that makes it especially difficult. Maybe a play quilt in baby Einstein colors to stimulate the little one's mind.



Here are some baby quilts from the recent past:




I really liked the contrasting colors in this one. Easy nine-patch with sashing.




This quilt is the bright hopes quilt for kids and I made it from a free pattern I found online. It uses a neat technique of sewing a partial seam so the squares can be sewn flat. I'd like to make this quilt again in different colors. I made this one all from quarter flats from JoAnn's and used every last bit of fabric in the binding. A truly economic quilt!

No comments: