12 September 2008

Savannah's Picassos and Potato Leek Soup

It's no secret that we love Savannah's artwork, which is always changing. Today she drew this girl swimming on her chalkboard. I love it! When we move to NY, I promised her she could continue taking a karate class, since she loves that so much, and instead of dance or gymnastics she requested either a music class or an art class.



I'm working for the next week, which sadly, will take most of my energy. I don't have good first trimesters, which makes me feel like a terrible mother. Instead of feeling excited like Kevin or Savannah, I just try to make it through the fatigue, headaches, and sickness without much thought devoted to the baby on the way. I did buy another Baby Bjorn though, as this is the one thing I couldn't live without as a new mom. By the end of September, my body should be finished building its new infrastructure and I should be back to normal. No cravings or aversions (except to turkey, which is the baby not me) to report. I still love all the same things, especially sushi, avocado and seaweed.


We've had a lot of rain in Colorado so it's perfect soup weather. Here's my favorite Potato Leek Soup recipe (and I promise to post my Middle Eastern Split Lentil Soup recipe for my Mom soon!):


In a heavy bottom soup pan, add 3Tb of olive oil plus 1Tb of unsalted butter. Heat to medium low and add slices from 3-4 (very well washed) leeks. Saute for 6 minutes then add 2 large diced and washed Yukon Gold potatoes with skin on for another 3-4 minutes.

Add 5 cups of water and 3-4 teaspoons of chicken bouillon (be sure your bouillon is free of MSG (monosodium glutamate) - I prefer to use Organic Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base)

Cover with lid and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.

Add 1/4 cup half and half, 1/4 cup Parmesan and freshly ground pepper (and maybe extra salt)to taste.

I also usually add a pinch of herbs de Provence and sometimes flat leaf parsley.

I like to serve the soup with open-faced tomato and avocado sandwiches with a shake of Herbamare and pinch of powdered garlic on top and a side green salad.

No comments: