24 September 2008

Savannah's cozy car quilt

We're finally back from our last house hunting trip to NY. On the morning we were scheduled to fly back to Colorado, we decided to look at one last house before making an offer on another one. It must have been fate because we loved it. It has more than 15 acres that made Kevin feel right at home, trails through the woods for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing, a large pond for ice skating and fishing, rolling hills and fields. Beautiful land. The house is a contemporary eco-home built in the 70's by the original owner, who still lives there. It is passive solar with a green house and sauna and just waiting for me to cultivate a garden and apple orchard (oh yes, and Kevin's 1 acre of raspberry canes!). Updates on the house later as things progress, I will just say that this is not the sort of home you might envision us in although our European backgrounds were right at home there.

Today Savannah read to me A Picture for Harold's Room while I finished her cozy car quilt. She picked out the fabrics for the front and the fleece for the back as well. My quilting turned out not as well as it could have since my machine won't lower the feed dogs - they kept popping back up so I had to fight the fabric the whole time, but in the end it turned out fine and it fits her perfectly for the car. If our offer is accepted on the contemporary house, I'll have to start making modern and Japanese-style quilts - kind of exciting!


Savannah's new car quilt - we use them all fall and winter so she can stay warm while the car takes its time to warm up... Wish I had one too!

Stippling turned out remarkably well, considering I had to fight the feed dogs the whole time I was quilting.

No comments: