15 May 2009

Life begets life

"Life begets life. Energy becomes energy. It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich."
-Sarah Bernhardt

Everywhere we look there is new life sprouting up about us,


in the greenhouse...


in the brooder...


in the house...


Savannah is busy learning to be a mommy to her new chicks. We have half a dozen Rhode Island Reds, now nine days old, and they are very easy to care for. They have charming habits like sleeping in a pile of golden fluff with their necks draped over their sisters, tumbling over after trying to balance on one leg while preening, and eating their own poop. They are a happy bunch of girls that make little noise and we'll look forward to receiving their first eggs sometime in October when they are mature. I hope they all make it; one of the six is a bit of a runt and is definitely lowest in the pecking order. We are reserving naming for when their full plumage comes in but I want to name two Lucy and Penny, Savannah gets to name the rest. Rhode Island Reds are an excellent egg-laying breed for Northerners - they are gentle, productive and hardy birds. My second choice if we acquire more next year are Buff Orpingtons. Both breeds are gentle and winter-hardy.

Savannah holds them daily so they learn to be accustomed to their human family and to be handled.

We've borrowed a neighbor's rototiller to help put the garden in this year. Our soil is the most densely packed clay we've ever managed. The tiller takes Kev's full weight to use and after many passes, we have tilled half the garden space we anticipate we'll need and to only 3-4" deep. This year we'll have to use raised beds or mounds with supplemental topsoil until we can better break up and lighten the clay. Without a tractor to do the heavy duty tilling, I may have to reduce my planned garden size...

Sometimes people tell me that I do too much although, I rarely feel this way myself, particularly now with my recovery. When it comes to my life, I'd rather spend the extra energy and time cultivating the things that matter to me, even if it means less sleep at night. Garden, chicks, new baby, all good things that fill one's life with meaning and riches and all worth the energy spent caring for them. Plus, it's not all work, work, work...


Like father,


like son.

No comments: