Today we tackled step three of tiling over the Ditra, but we depended on a neighbor's help for laying it all out first to get a good grid. He helped us decide what to do about the non-square rooms as well, since we weren't exactly sure about that. With the 18x18" tiles we chose, it's been a snap to lay them down now that we're working from a good grid. Our neighbor also left an extra pair of knee pads so I'm helping to apply the mortar with the notched trowel and to place and space the tiles with Kevin. We are thrilled with our good fortune in finding helpful and kind neighbors with a strong sense of community.
So far so good! 87 tiles down which comes to about 200 square feet of tiling today.
Mortar will come last after all the tiles are cut and laid- these tiles are still drying and setting.
Also, after yesterday's finding I took Savannah to the emergency care clinic today and am thrilled to say, they took us very seriously and we were treated "by the book". They sent the engorged tick to a lab for processing (I brought it in our tick jar that is half-filled with rubbing alcohol), Savannah walked out with a week's supply of Strawberry Creme flavored prophylactic antibiotics and in four weeks, she'll have a blood work follow-up to be sure she doesn't have Lyme disease. I couldn't be happier with the service. Lyme disease is a reportable illness since it's important for officials to keep on top of the demographics for the spread of this disease. The doctor also said that I had removed all of the mouth parts but there was a small scab in the center of the red infection that I had mistaken for a mouth part. Still, I'm special ordering the fine tipped tweezers because until our guinea hens are engoring themselves on daily meals of ticks, we will probably need them again and again...